Notice to Applicants Who Attended Foreign Schools
Transcripts will only be accepted from massage schools that are approved or accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE). Refer to the Board's Massage website for a list of USDE accrediting agencies.
Additionally, schools located outside of the United States must undergo a strict comprehensive review and scrutiny through a professional, private contract commission. The four Board-approved commissions to determine the eligibility and competency of such school(s) is listed in the chart at the bottom of this page.
In many instances, fraudulent information has been detected in applications, particularly from transcripts purportedly derived from foreign schools and institutions. Accordingly, the following procedures apply to any foreign school:
- No action will be taken on the application until the Board receives a full report from one of the four Board-approved commissions. Applicants are advised that such reviews take several weeks to several months to complete.
- Applicants are advised that the Board will not process the application further until a full favorable report is submitted by the authorized agency. The Board retains the discretion to approve or reject any application upon review of the report and documentation.
- All foreign transcripts, letters and documents must be presented to the contract investigating company in original form and must also have an original English translation from an accredited member of the American Translators Association. No other translations are acceptable. The applicant bears all costs of any translations or certifications.
- Applicants who attended foreign schools are advised that very few foreign schools or institutions have qualified as meeting Maryland’s standards. Accordingly, applicants should seriously consider and weigh the costs of this comprehensive review and fees with the probable chances of non-acceptance of the foreign school.
- Affected applicants are advised that acceptance of an application and non-refundable fees does not in any manner insure, promise or guarantee that the application will be approved and certification or registration will be granted.
- The Board does not interface with the credential evaluation agency.
- Applicants are solely responsible to make all arrangements with agencies for evaluation of transcripts/academic records, including payment of any applicable fees. Applicants may contact:
International Commission on Healthcare Professionals (ICHP)
3600 Market Street, Suite 400
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651
ADDITIONAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION AGENCIES:
International Consultants of Delaware
625 Barksdale Road, Suite 109
Newark, Delaware 19711
World Education Services, Inc.
P. O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, New York 10274-5087
Telephone: ( 212) 966-6311
FAX: (212) 739-6100
Web site: www.wes.org
World Educational Credential Evaluators
P. O. Box 341468
Tampa, Florida 33694 – 1468
Telephone: (813) 962-6506