Temporary licenses are available for occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants. A temporary license may be issued only to an applicant pending the results of the next regularly scheduled national certification exam. The candidate must meet all other requirements for licensure and must provide specified documentation relative to exam eligibility. All forms can be obtained by visiting the Forms page.
Temporary License Process
Please print applicant checklist,licensure procedure pamphlet, and board surveyfor further details.
A. Request an application
B. Complete the application, including:
2 Self-addressed labels
A photograph affixed.
Notarization of the application.
Application fee ($200) money order or check payable to MBOT
Continuing education documentation if it has been more than one year since you
graduated from an O.T. academic program:
12 contact hours if more than 1 year since graduation or
0 contact hours if less than 1 year since graduation.
C. Forward request to third parties responsible for sending material to the Board Office on your behalf. For example:
- Attestations to moral character completed on forms provided by the Board Office. 2 moral character forms are needed.
- Confirmation of Registration and Eligibility Letter from Professional Examination Service (PES);
If currently and/or previously authorized to practice in any other state or country, a letter of verification of licensure, registration, or certification in good standing from the appropriate authority of that state or country.
D. Temporary license is issued by Board Office within 5 business days of application completion.
E. Upon receipt of NBCOT exam scores,
- Board Office forwards all completed applications to the Board on the 3rd Friday of the month for official licensure.
- Applications approved for licensure are processed by the Board Office during the 4th week of the month.
- Applicants not approved for licensure are notified.
F. Apply for 2nd temporary license if needed.